Fireship Press is dedicated to providing authors with a solid publishing platform. We welcome new authors as well as established authors who may be interested in additional publishing venues. We accept submissions for manuscripts in the broad category of Nautical and Historical Fiction and Nonfiction. We have published fiction and nonfiction in areas such as:
Age of Sail,
Revolutionary Wars in the US and in Europe.
The Middle Ages and Crusades.
The American Civil War
Other people's Civil wars
The American West
20th Century Military History
Empire including Europe, Russia, Asia and Africa
Under our new imprint, Cortero, we are now accepting works in other genres:
Fantasy with a historical setting, or Alternative history
Murder Mysteries with a historical setting.
We do not currently consider erotica, horror, young adult or children’s books, or books that are exclusively romance. If your story has a romance in it, but primarily falls into another of our accepted genres, we will consider it.
Print On Demand.
Our books are published as Print on Demand trade paperbacks and will be available to the title lists of major book distributors in the United States and Canada, so any customer, at any store, can order it. Fireship also provides Print on Demand in the UK and Australia.
Book titles will appear in Books in Print and will be available through Ingram, and Baker & Taylor -- the two largest book distributors in the United States. Books will be available in Europe via both Gardner's Books and Bertram Books, the two largest book distributors in Europe. Books will also be available in Canada via Chapters/Indigo, the largest book distributor in Canada.
Fireship does not print hard cover editions at this time.
In addition to trade paperback editions, Fireship Press publishes all new titles in ebook editions available in a variety of formats: Amazon Kindle, Barnes and Noble Nook, Sony, Kobo, and Apple.
Contracts are negotiated on an individual basis between Fireship Press and the Author, though it should be noted, that we offer royalties at a competitive industry rate. Please note too that we contract for completed manuscripts only.
Fireship Press makes effective use of current social media in Facebook and our regularly updated blog for reviews and news of our authors and books. New releases appear on our home page, as well the genre page. All titles remain clearly visible and linked -- easily accessible throughout our website. All Fireship authors are given a dedicated biography page in the Fireship Author Roll Call, highlighting their work and links to their personal pages.
Although most of the responsibility for the marketing of the book will fall to the authors themselves, it is our intent to do as much as possible to assist in the promotion of our authors' books. We can provide some printed advertising materials for the author's use, including flyers and books marks, and authors may purchase copies of their titles at 45% off the cover price. We encourage authors to acquire either Facebook fan pages, or personal Facebook pages so that they can interact with readers on Fireship's Facebook page.
Check List and Contacts for Submissions
Fireship Press is a paperless office and all queries and manuscripts come to us through emails and word documents.
1. First, please send an industry-standard query letter in an email. Include a brief synopsis of the work that reflects not only the content but also the writing style of the book in question. For non-fiction books, please also include an outline or detailed chapter list.
2. If we are interested in your synopsis, we will request three sample chapters in Word or Pages. These are usually the first three chapters. If you send chapters from further on in the book, please include a paragraph or two of contextualization.
3. Chapters for consideration and final manuscripts must be in the following format:
Using either Microsoft Word .doc or Apple .pages files.
Ensure that the font is Times New Roman
The font size is 12 with spacing at 1.5
4. Fireship Press does not provide an editing service within the company other than final copy editing to ensure that quality is maintained at publishing. We can, however, assist authors seeking to improve their manuscripts by providing recommendations for reputable editors.
5. When sending a query letter please select a specific editor for your genre from the list below and send your proposal to the most appropriate address. When entering the email address replace the [at] with the usual @.
Michael James – Nautical, military and historical fiction and nonfiction of Europe and the Americas; military history and historical fiction of the Middle East, Asia, and Africa, Biography and memoir. mjames[at]fireshippress.com (please replace [at] with @ when emailing)
Midori Snyder – Historical fiction (Medieval, Renaissance, American Western), Fantasy to include magical realism, alternative history and historical fantasy msnyder[at]fireshippress.com (please replace [at] with @ when emailing)
Submissions that do not include all the requested materials in the requested format or that fall outside the accepted genres will be rejected unread. Thank you for making sure Fireship is a good fit for your book before you submit.
Fireship's reporting time is usually two months after acceptance of the full manuscript for review. Fireship Press also allows multiple submission, though if your book is contracted elsewhere, please let us know.